Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes (paperback)
Genealogists are like detectives. Working out puzzles is the name of their game! If you have ever wanted to research and document your family history the right way, then the award-winning Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes is for you! Authored by professional genealogist Shannon Combs-Bennett, this genealogy book explains the joys, challenges, and triumphs of researching your family's origins. While many people assume genealogy research starts online, Combs-Bennett shows the importance of starting a family tree using documents that can be found in your own home!
Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes is written in a friendly, easy-to-understand style that avoids complex jargon. While not a comprehensive guide, there are lots of examples, case studies, and advice that can help would-be family historians quickly get up to speed. In addition to listing best practices for conducting genealogical research, Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes also warns readers about the many pitfalls of family research, from "brick wall" mysteries to time-wasting online searches.
What you will learn in this guide
- Why are people so interested in family history?
- Evaluating clues, facts, and myths in family stories
- The importance of linking generations
- Vital records, from birth certificates to death records
- Non-vital records, from census forms to wills
- Religious records
- Five things that can trip up newbies researching family history
- Best practices for genealogy road trips
- Interviewing relatives, and dealing with skeptics
- Pros and cons of online genealogy research
- Genetic genealogy basics
- Understanding the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
- Non-paternal events and other skeletons in the genetic closet
- Visualizing family history with charts
- Research logs and genealogy journals
- Preserving records and planning for disasters
- Genealogy software and GEDCOM files
As its name suggests, Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes concentrates on basic skills. Nevertheless, in a single reading you will be able to understand some important research basics. Creating a strong family tree will not only satisfy your own curiosity, but will also serve as a record to share with relatives and future generations!
Professional genealogist & storyteller
Author Shannon Combs-Bennett is an author, researcher, and lecturer based in the Washington, D.C. metro area. She regularly speaks and writes about genetic genealogy and various research methods. Shannon is a contributor to Family Tree Magazine and Legacy Family Tree Webinars, and is the founder of T2 Family History. Shannon is also a staff genealogist at the National Society Colonial Dames 17th Century in Washington, DC. The Independent Book Publishers Association awarded Shannon a Benjamin Franklin silver award for Genealogy Basics In 30 Minutes. The book also received a silver award from Mom's Choice Awards, which serves as a "benchmark of excellence in family-friendly media, products and services."