You asked, we answered: The EasyGenie Archival Genealogy Storage Kit is finally here! In addition to the pictures on this page, the video below has more details. We also wanted to share the "backstory" of this kit, and how it came into existence.
We're family genealogists, and we understand the challenges of organizing and preserving key research, including original documents, copies of documents, genealogy charts and forms, and photographs.
For a long time we used manila folders for documents, but discovered that they didn't last long, typically falling apart after a few years. We've also tried hanging folders, which are sturdier, but the documents tend to stay hidden at the back of a filing cabinet.
And everyone knows the problems with preserving photographs. Consumer-grade photo albums eventually lose their stickiness. More often than not, photos end up in shoeboxes or plastic containers stuffed into the back of a closet.
The Archival Genealogy Storage Kit is designed to make documents and photos more accessible, better organized, and easier to store. The picture below shows the basic contents:
- Two sturdy 1" three-ring binders made in the USA with 100% recycled chipboard and non-stick polypropylene. Round metal rings have a simple release mechanism. Acid-free, clear plastic sleeves on the outside and interior can hold card stock inserts.
- Ten clear photo pages for three-ring binders. Each acid-free polypropylene page can hold four photographs up to 5 x 7 inches in size, along with included card stock strips for identification.
- Ten clear acid-free sheet protectors for document storage and preservation, 8.5 x 11 inches and three-hole punched for binder storage.
- Two sheets of 8.5 x 11 perforated card stock inserts. The heavyweight/80 lb card stock can fit in standard printers, or can take handwriting. Each sheet contains ten 4 by 2 inch cards.
- One retractable rolling ball gel pen with an extra fine point. The pen uses acid-free black ink, and can safely mark up the back of photographs, genealogy charts, or document copies.
The storage kit is designed to safely store vital records such as birth/death certificates and marriage records, letters and handwritten notes, copies of census returns, and military service records. The photo sleeves can hold smaller photographs up to 5 by 7 inches in size, but larger photographs up to 8.5 x 11 inches in size will fit in the document sheets.
The binders can also hold standard 8.5 by 11 inch EasyGenie genealogy charts that are three-hole punched. Larger EasyGenie charts can be folded up and slipped into the side pockets of the binder. The video below shows how.
While there are collector-grade binders and preservation materials available at other specialist vendors (such as the good people at Archival Methods) the prices are extremely high and take weeks or months for delivery. The EasyGenie storage kit is available NOW, ships from our office outside Boston, and costs less than $40 for a 25-piece set.
We are also selling the kit together with the EasyGenie starter bundle (above), which makes a fantastic gift for people just getting started with genealogy.